Friday, December 31, 2010

St Marks from Cypress Bowl (1360 m)

Howe Sound from St. Marks Summit

Location: Cypress Provincial Park
Driving Time: 1 hr each way from metro Vancouver
Ascent Time: 2.5 hrs
Complete Time: 4.5 hours
Start Elevation: 940 m
Max  Elevation: 1360 m



Howe Sound Crest Trail is highline traverse from North Vancouver to Porteau Cove along Sea-to-Sky heading to Squamish. 30 kilometers in length, it is usually done as 2-3 days backpack trip. Heading north from Cypress Bowl Ski area the first significant landmark is 1360 m high bump called St. Marks summit. It is about 6 km one way from Cypress which makes it excellent half-day objective.

I hiked this part of HSCT in late spring of 2010. On that occasion I made it full day hike and went all the way to Unnecessary Mountain -- about 1 hour further north from St. Marks. On this last day of 2010 I thought I'd try my new showshoes and see if I can make it to St Marks -- I remembered excellent views of Howe Sound and peaks of Sechelt peninsula. The weather was exceptionally good, calm with no wind and sunny. I knew North Shore Hikers went here few days ago -- so I'd not have to break the trail. Usual late start -- I can't seem to be able to get out of bed before 10 am these days -- brought me to Cypress Bowl around 12:30 pm. Lots of people as usual, but I was able to park not too far away from the trailhead. I started hiking around 12:35.


Starting up on HSCT above Cypress Bowl. It is major challenge to find your way through maze of ski runs. I even got yelled at by some ski-instructor for "trespassing on private property !???". Good thing I am familiar with the area from my summer trips; I just charged up through the forest aiming to reach giant water tank. From there the trail was clear and soon I was on my way north. On the way down, I went straight down ski-run; few snowboarders zoomed past me, but no problems otherwise.



Bowen Lookout fork about 30 min from the start. Real backcountry experience starts here. Trail signs are almost burried -- it is amazing how much snow North Shore Mountains get!


Strachan Meadows about 45 minutes from the start with view to both summits of Mt. Strachan. The ascent route splits from HSCT about here and heads up Christmas gully in the center heading to low saddle between twin summits. I went here in October 2008, but in winter there is considerable avalanche risk -- depending on snow conditions.




Few minutes beyond Strachan meadows elevation gain started. The trail was very good and in general I had little problems switchbacking up forest enclosed slopes. There were a couple of steep sections, but my new showshoes gave me pretty good grip. Finally about 2.5 hours into the hike I arrived to St. Marks lookout. Great view of the Lions waited. Unecessary mountain -- my June 2010 trip -- is the bump in center left.


Fabulous late afternoon views from St. Marks across Burrard Inlet towards Vancouver Island. It was calm with no wind; using my outer shell jacket and backpack I made myself nice nest and enjoyed lunch break soaking up the views. Horseshoe Bay center left, Bowen Island right.







Telephoto of peaks on Sechelt Peninsula to the west: Tetrahedron, Panter, Rainy and Varley. I tried to climb Tetrahedron in summer of 2009, but failed because I was physically and mentally unprepared for horrendous bushwack. One of rare failures in my peak bagging career in western Canada; to this day it still bothers me. Trip report is here -- but it shows only high alpine glory, none of terrible bush bellow!


Lions telephoto: East Lion (right) is class 5 roped alpine climb. West Lion (left) is dangerous and exposed scramble; approach is usually via popular Binkert Trail from Lions Bay along Sea-to-Sky.  It takes about 2 hours to get to the base of Lions from St. Marks, making approach from Cypress along HSCT less direct route.




Few more peaks from St.Marks: Tantalus range (left) and Cathedral (right). Cathedral is my big goal for 2011. It is very challenging and I'll need 2 days for it; I plan on spending the night right there on the summit!


One last panoramic shot from St. Mark summit. Couple of photos stiched together for this fabulous view west across Howe Sound. Bowen Island left; Sechelt Peninsula upper center, Tantalus range to the right.






I started heading back at 3:30. Days are quite short at this time of year; I had to hurry if I wanted to make it back to Cypress at daylight. I was down to Strachan meadows just as the sun was setting with last rays putting the mountain on fire.

I really enjoyed this short hike; it will become quite regular outing while I am still in Vancouver. If you are here in winter months, give it a try on calm, sunny day such as this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers